http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jdawg1311875/twoofus.jpg A Mother's Rant: Pride and Humility

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pride and Humility

I know that pride and humility are the opposite of each other and that is the point.
14 years ago I graduated from Portland Community College. My major was graphic design. While I was attending PCC I had a job in an office answering phones, filing etc. basically your run of the mill receptionist type position. I did well, but then I've always done well in every job I've had.
At one point, a department secretary said something about how she went to PCC and now look at her. My thought at the time was, "Well, I want to be more than a secretary in an office."
Oh, for the fall of pride. I had NEVER had a problem getting a job or keeping a job.
Then it was graduation time, I won't bore you with how wonderful my grades were or the great internship I had or any of the other things that made me someone great to hire. I will say that a job didn't just land in my lap. In fact I really struggled. I had a few part time graphic design jobs, one full time job and then, poof! Nothing.
I finally gave up on graphic design, not because I didn't love it or because I wasn't good at it, but because I didn't feel like I would ever be able to work in that industry. New programs come out almost constantly and I had been left behind.
Now comes the really humbling part. I would love a job as a receptionist or secretary. I have applied to a local school district for such jobs only to have NO luck at all.
Sometimes I wish I could go back and talk to that PCC receptionist that I was and tell her to just stay where she is and be thankful for her job.
No longer proud, but very humble.
Love to you all.

2 Comments:

At 3:30 AM, Blogger Grace said...

Debra, i can't believe it's been 14 years since you got your degree! wow, where do the years go. i hear you about wanting to find a job. i too would love to find something, especially with the school district. good luck to you!

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Jeanette said...

Mom, has it really been 14 years? Wow. I remember being so proud of you for getting your degree. Does that mean I'm bound to fall, too? Ha, kidding. I love you, and I miss you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home